Sunday, September 13, 2009

Bringing home baby

I had forgotten just about everything about the first week of having a new baby. The whirlwind visit to the hospital made it seem wilder than the first time around. We were so happy to have so many visitors at the hospital. It helps make the time go by quickly even if the visits are very quick.

Grandpa Chuck was coming to Ames to help us fix the door in our bathroom-we had to call and let him know we were rushing to the hospital-he was already on his way here and didn't have to wait long to meet his grandson.


Emily stopped by with Craig, Melissa, and Jeff. We had hoped to have Greta and Will come in and see Vance, but the hospital has a strict rule about kids visiting and they had to wait in the visitors room.

Grandma and Grandpa Renuad came with Megan on Sunday night-they were also able to take Harrison to Pella for a few days, he was VERY excited!
I can’t believe how quickly new babies are discharged from the hospital-it seems like such a quick turnaround to be going home less than 48 hours after Vance’s arrival. Even though it was quick Adam and I both were ready this time to get home and get our routine going. I feel so fortunate that Adam works at a company that allows him to use some of his sick time for paternity leave, I think more companies should follow the lead of those who allow for dads to take time off and be at home. It is so good for our relationship and for Vance and Harrison to get to spend so much time with both Mommy and Daddy! Harrison spent the first few days in Pella with his grandparents so we could have some quality time to adjust to having a newborn around again. Vance is such a wonderful baby. He caught on to nursing immediately at the hospital and eats like a champ. A bonus of having a big baby is that he seems to sleep for longer periods of time-3 hours felt pretty short at first, but I remember Harrison getting up every two hours to eat, this is much better! I forgot how hard it is to put down my baby when he is sleeping. I just want to spend every minute holding him and enjoying our quiet time together. Sometimes I start to get sad thinking about how quickly he will grow up and that makes it even harder to put him down. I love these moments with him!
Little Sweet Pea

Harrison arrived home on Friday morning and was very excited to see Vance again (and Mommy and Daddy of course). He was so happy when he arrived home and brought us cookies and some books to share with Vance (thanks Jan!). He immediately asked if Vance can play cars and trucks with him-adorable-we explained he will have to wait until Vance gets bigger and Harrison seemed fine with that explanation. He has been very gentle with him and likes to tickle and give him kisses.

Mommy with her boys

Thank you to everyone for all of the calls and messages! We are so grateful to have such a wonderful family and group of friends. We can’t wait to introduce Vance to all of you!

2 comments:

Alecia said...

Nikki - I saw your blog address on facebook and had to stalk you out! Congrats on your new little bundle - he's adorable! I'll have to add you to my reading list (our blog is www.raymerlife.blogspot.com) so I can keep up with him (and you!)
Alecia (Julius) Raymer

Stephanie Griffin said...

awwww, you look amazing :) I'm glad everything is going so well!!!