The other pumpkin was carved to look like a Hawkeye, but this one made quite the impression. The whole way home Harrison asked about "the one that is sick". He asked me to tell him the story about when we saw the pumpkins over and over again. At first Adam and I thought he just really liked the pumpkin, but last night (three days later) he was still asking about "the one that is sick". Adam was the one who finally caught on and asked Harrison if the pumpkins scared him-he said "not the Hawkeye, but the one that is sick". We should have picked up on it sooner-I can see how that image is very frightening to a little boy and very vivid. It's like he can't get it out of his head. After Adam determined that the pumpkin scared him he told him a story about how the pumpkin is all better and now has a big smile on it's face. I told the same story this morning when he asked me again about the sick pumpkin, and you can guarantee that tonight we will be carving our pumpkins to have enormous smiles and happy faces. I hope that it will help him to get that vivd image out of his mind. Wednesday, October 21, 2009
The one that is sick
I feel terrible! We were at Amy and Megan's over the weekend (for the 5K) and as we were walking out to the parking lot I pointed out two pumpkins to Harrison. I didn't really look at them before I showed him and one of them happened to be a pumpkin that looks like this one...
The other pumpkin was carved to look like a Hawkeye, but this one made quite the impression. The whole way home Harrison asked about "the one that is sick". He asked me to tell him the story about when we saw the pumpkins over and over again. At first Adam and I thought he just really liked the pumpkin, but last night (three days later) he was still asking about "the one that is sick". Adam was the one who finally caught on and asked Harrison if the pumpkins scared him-he said "not the Hawkeye, but the one that is sick". We should have picked up on it sooner-I can see how that image is very frightening to a little boy and very vivid. It's like he can't get it out of his head. After Adam determined that the pumpkin scared him he told him a story about how the pumpkin is all better and now has a big smile on it's face. I told the same story this morning when he asked me again about the sick pumpkin, and you can guarantee that tonight we will be carving our pumpkins to have enormous smiles and happy faces. I hope that it will help him to get that vivd image out of his mind.
The other pumpkin was carved to look like a Hawkeye, but this one made quite the impression. The whole way home Harrison asked about "the one that is sick". He asked me to tell him the story about when we saw the pumpkins over and over again. At first Adam and I thought he just really liked the pumpkin, but last night (three days later) he was still asking about "the one that is sick". Adam was the one who finally caught on and asked Harrison if the pumpkins scared him-he said "not the Hawkeye, but the one that is sick". We should have picked up on it sooner-I can see how that image is very frightening to a little boy and very vivid. It's like he can't get it out of his head. After Adam determined that the pumpkin scared him he told him a story about how the pumpkin is all better and now has a big smile on it's face. I told the same story this morning when he asked me again about the sick pumpkin, and you can guarantee that tonight we will be carving our pumpkins to have enormous smiles and happy faces. I hope that it will help him to get that vivd image out of his mind.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment