Harrison had his annual allergy check-up on July 6th. This was following a week at the cabin that contributed to his worst ever case of eczema. His poor legs and back were just an itchy mess. Of course it didn’t help that I had neglected to send his prescription cream along with him for the week-lesson learned. Until now we have always gotten away with the over the counter medicine, but now I know that to be on the safe side I should always pack both, just in case. I have also learned that we need to be even more vigilant about packing his Epi-pen. That brings me back to the allergy appointment. Harrison was retested for allergies and I really hope this is not an annual event. Last year he was young enough that after the initial shock from being pricked all over his back he pretty much forgot about it and was fine. This time was very different. I could tell how painful it was from his reaction-he just looked at me in shock and horror that this had happened. It was so much worse than the two-three shots that he gets at the annual check-ups with his pediatrician. We could also tell how much the areas that caused an allergic reaction were bothering him-he just squirmed and squirmed trying to relieve the discomfort. Through his tears he asked me “Why did the Doctor do that?” that of course made me cry. Several days after this appointment he still will touch his back and ask why the doctor hurt him. It’s so hard to see that he still remembers how much it hurt.
The results of the test show that his peanut allergy is still very severe. The mark on his back that grows and grows from where they prick the 1/1000 (or something like that) part of a peanut is just unreal. I am so happy that we have not had to discover what happens if he actually eats one. The allergy appointment has reminded us that we need to be so cautious about what Harrison eats and comes into contact with. We had been ‘slacking’ a bit around the house. I would occasionally buy something that had peanut products thinking that I would just be careful not to let him have any. That is so irresponsible. He should be able to eat anything we have in our home. Someone who is watching him could make the assumption that we have a peanut free house and then I don’t even want to think about what could happen. We also realized that we need to be so much better about the darn Epi-pen-I am just the most forgetful person around. We have one at our house, the babysitters, Grandma and Grandpa Renuad’s, and at Amy and Megan’s apartment. I need to be better about carrying one in my purse/bag/backpack-whatever I am using to tote his stuff. I find that I switch bags so often that it is always in the one that I left at home, or in the car. This cannot happen anymore. I am determined to change myself into a responsible parent because the consequences of my irresponsibility are just too great.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
There are things I still don't make with peanuts, and I haven't lived with Lana since 1984! It would never ocur to me to put nuts in brownies or cookies! We grew up having to be vigilant about peanut allergies - int he days before you could carry an Epi-pen. You are doing a great job protecting him, and it will become second nature before you know it.
Post a Comment